Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Unforgettable Season: The Story of Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams and the Record Setting Summer of '41

The Unforgettable Season: The Story of Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams and the Record Setting Summer of '41
Phil Bildner (2011)


I came across this book as I was researching books for a class presentation about books that are in the informational/non-fiction genre.  This book chronicles the 1941 baseball seasons of Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams.  The stories of their seasons are told well in a kid-friendly way, and the pictures are really great as well.  I think reading about biographies and informational text in a story kind of way makes it easier for students to learn from and read along with.  I surprised myself that I enjoyed this, because this type of book would normally not catch my interest, mostly due to the fact that I do not care about reading about sports...Finding this book made me realize though that I will need to provide books in my classroom that will interest all types of readers.  From experience in my third classroom, my students, the boys especially, would have loved to have read this book! I think it will be important to realzie what types of writing my students are interested in, and be able to bring those into my personal library, or our school's library.  This book could help model how to learn the difference between non-fiction/fiction in a lesson or a write-your-own biography lesson, but the most important thing I realized about this book is something for me to learn about: providing an array of different varieties of books in my classroom.  That way, students will be surrounded by literature and encourage them to continue reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment