Sunday, May 22, 2011

Twelve Hats for Lena

Twelve Hats for Lena
Karen Katz (2002)

The book Twelve Hats for Lena really caught my eye as I was perusing the books in the ICPL.  It has big pages with big text and big pictures!  This book is about a little girl who makes a hat for each month!  On these hats, she makes things that signify and represent that month like flowers for May or pumpkins for October.  If I ever teach K-1, I will DEFINITELY use this book! This book would help aid in the learning of the months so much! This book is also something I can refer back to at the beginning of every new month!  I think students would be excited to keep coming back to Lena and her hats! Besides learning about the months, this book would help students be creative if they were to either make their own hats about the particular month or draw their pictures! Besides art and reading lessons, this book could also help in math by our class making a bar graph about the types of activities or weather we find during those months.  I really recommend this book to anyone wanting to teach K-1!

No comments:

Post a Comment