Sunday, May 29, 2011

the Pied Piper's Magic

the Pied Piper's Magic
Steven Kellogg (2009)


I was first introduced to Steven Kellogg in our summer reading class's scavenger hunt in the ICPL!  One of the questions was finding out which illustrators have donated a picture or two to the ICPL, and Steven Kellogg was my answer to that question.  As I was searching for a book, I saw his name pop up again; but this time on a book! This book is fairy-tale about an elf who helps free children from working through the use of his magical pipe.  This story was great, and the pictures are breathtaking! They are so intricate, detailed, and colorful, and really help tell the story!  This book is a quality book because the illustrations help tell the story, it does not reinforce gender or cultural stereotypes, and that the story is the primary focus of the book, rather than the lesson that is being taught.  I would read this book aloud to a 1-3 grade classroom, but I think children in grades 3-5 could read this on their own.  It is a little lengthy, and some words are very challenging, but I think it is a very interesting read and that children would like it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment