Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Medieval Castle

Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Medieval Castle
Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen (2002)

Many people have heard of The Magic School Bus, a cartoon that is shown to help teach many important life/science concepts to younger students in simpler terms.  I used to be an avid watcher, so I found it very surprising that the creators of TMSB also create books! Naturally, I had to check it out, and how very happy I was that I did! I came across this book as I was searching for informational/non-fictional types of texts for an in-class presentation about genre.  In this particular book Ms. Frizzle, the adventurous red-headed teacher, somehow finds herself and another character's (Craig) self in the medieval time period.  They go on an adventure through different types of settings in the medieval period, like the countryside, city, castle, etc, and live like how the people who reside there do!  This book is really cool because while there is an actual story line, the pictures are in a cartoon style that also tell another part of the story!  There is so much information EVERYWHERE in this book!  The pictures/texts are so fun to read and look at.  This book has a lot more harder vocabulary words and historical concepts, so I think it would be more wise to have this in classrooms aged 4-6.  This book is interesting because it is not some boring text book, but rather an easier to read picture book.  I could have this in my classroom as a reference guide.  We could also use this book during history lessons about the medieval time period.  Other things I could have them do is have students make their own family shield, like how the book jacket has shields, write postcards or letters from the viewpoints of if they were people in medieval times, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment