Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sol a Sol

Sol a Sol
Lori Marie Carlson (1998)


I first discovered Sol a Sol in my summer reading class.  This book is full of simple poems in Spanish on page, and on the page next to it, translated to English! I minored in Spanish, and I was intrigued immediately by the Spanish title on the book, and the bright, colorful illustrations! I immensely enjoyed the fact that this poem book is for both Spanish and English speakers.  From experience in my 3rd grade practicum classroom, I know that children who may not be so cultured or educated in another language, are really intrigued by reading or listening to another language!  This book would be great to use in 2-4 grade classrooms in poetry and multi-cultural lessons. These poems are all able to elicit images of sights, touches, smells, and tastes, stir emotions, and are able to be understood in Spanish and English. Because of the Spanish-English translations, this poem book really broadens students' vocabulary as well! I also really, really, recommend this book to teachers to use in a unit about poetry and/or diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment