Sunday, May 22, 2011

Knuffle Bunny

Knuffle Bunny
Mo Willems (2004)
Caldecott Award Winner


I chose to read Knuffle Bunny, because while I was in practicum during spring semester, my third graders were obsessed with it! Whenever we went to the library, fights would break out over who got to check it out first! I decided to see what all the fuss was about it, and after further review, I think I understand why my students were so keen on getting this book.  This book is about a girl named Trixie whose favorite stuffed animal is a bunny (appropriately) named Knuffle Bunny.  She and her father go to the laundry mat to drop off dirty laundry, and some how Knuffle Bunny ends up in the wash.  Trixie and her father are about 2 blocks away from home when Trixie realizes Knuffle Bunny is missing! Trixie cannot talk yet, so she shouts out random funny words in order to describe to her father why she is upset! He doesn't get it though, and this causes Trixie to become uncontrollably upset! They make it back to their apartment, and Trixie's mother immediately asks where Knuffle Bunny is, and they all run back to the laundry mat!  I actually laughed a lot while reading along due to the text/dialog that is used to tell the story! The pictures/illustrations in this book accompany the hilarious text.  The backgrounf the pictures are real like photographs on places in downtown Manhattan, while the characters are hand drawn!  I do not think this book could provide any real lesson.  I could potentially do a lesson about comparing and contrasting different stages of life with students or have them write about their favorite toy and why.  I think I would encourage young students to read it, just so they are constantly reading and for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment