Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Un-Wedding

The Un-Wedding
Babette Cole (1997)


The Un-Wedding is another book that we read in class that could be considered controversial.  This story's plot is about two siblings who ask their parents to have an un-wedding.  After being fed up with their parents' constant bickering, they decide that not only their parents', but their own lives as well, would be so much happier if they were not married and living together anymore.  I think people think this could be a controversial book because of the theme of the proper term "divorce"--especially because of the kids asking their parents to get a divorce!  I can see that adults do not want children to get the wrong idea that every time their parents fight, it means that they do not love each other or that it makes it automatic grounds for divorce, but I think this book does a great job at bringing up the heavy theme of divorce.  This book is humorous, which helps the lighten up what divorce is.  One thing I liked about this book is that it centers around how much happier the kids are after not having to listen to and deal with their parents' pettiness. In this book, the kids wanted the divorce, but I understand how this book could not be useful with kids who do not want their parents to divorce.  I would not necessarily leave this book out in our classroom library, but if one of my students was having a hard time with a divorce, I would first ask the parents if it was okay for their child to read, then I would offer the book to the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment