Sunday, May 29, 2011

King & King & Family

King & King & Family
Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland (2004)


Another book I read in class that could be considered controversial is the book King & King & Family.  This book follows two kings who are recently married on what appears to be their honeymoon.  This book could be considered controversial because it touches upon the theme of homosexuality.  The problem I took issue with in this book, is that it did refrain from stereotyping.  Quality books should not emphasize stereotyping, but this book did quite that.  If America is going to move pass the "issue" it has with people identifying themselves as homosexual, literature, especially children's literature, should not include it.  In this book the author creates one king who exhibits more manly characteristics, while the other king exhibits more feminine characteristics.  In real life, that is not how all homosexual couples are at all, and I think this book should not represent homosexuality in this manner.  I think the author does it do be humorous, but I do not think it is funny.  If this book did not stereotype, I would have it in my classroom.  Homosexuality is a real thing, and should not be dismissed.  Others may argue, but one thing I really liked about this book were the illustrations.  They covered the whole page and were big and colorful; I actually really enjoyed looking at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment