Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Lion and the Mouse

The Lion and the Mouse
Jerry Pinkney (2009)
Caldecott Award

In an interesting twist, Jerry Pinkney's version of Aesop's classic fable The Lion and the Mouse, tells this classic story through pictures only! I LOVED THIS BOOK!  Every greatly detailed illustrated page tells the story of how the mouse and the lion become friends and save eachother.  I would use this in a k-6 classroom and the students would either write their own stories using the pictures from this book or create a reader's theater, where they will be responsible to telling the class about this story by writing a script and acting it out.  This book is so awesome, and I want every classroom teacher to have this in their classroom!  This book's illustrations are beautiful and starts on the cover pages, before the story even begins. I was weary about this book before I opened it up.  There was no title on the cover, so I was confused as to what was going to be instore for me.  One of the things that drew me to this book, however, was just the fact that all that is on this cover is just the lion's face, while on the back is the mouse.  It really intrigued me and caught my interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment