Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fables

Fables
Arnold Lobel (1980)
Caldecott Award

This book is a compilation of stories about personified animals and their endeavors in their lives.  They are very short, about a page each, and really interesting.  As the title suggests, these stories are all fables, and at the end of each story a lesson learned or proverb that should be considered is written at the bottom of the page as to what should be taken away from this story.  I think this book is very challenging, and should be used in a 5th-6th grade classroom.  Lessons that would stem from this book are, learning about fables, what kinds of messages do authors write about, how to identify the message, writing your own fable, etc.  I like that this picture book can be used in upper elementary, as well.  This book is a Caldecott Award winner, and the pictures definitely prove why.  These pictures really capture the main scene in the story, and before we even begin to read the fables, I would ask my students what they think this fable is going to be about and why.  I highly, highly, recommend this story for all upper elementary school teachers' bookshelves--I know I will get it for my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment