Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ella Sarah Gets Dressed

Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
Margaret Chodos-Irvine (2003)
Caldecott Award

I wanted to see what kinds of book children were picking up to read, so I went to the recently returned shelves in the ICPL.  One book I came across was Ella Sarah Get Dressed.  I thought the cover was funny and the colors were very bright.  This story is about a little girl who is adamant about what she wants to wear for the day!  Her parents and sister try to convince her that her silly outfit is too fancy to wear, when in reality, they think it is plain hideous!  Turns out that all of Ella Sarah's friends are dressed just the same with their wacky pants, dresses, hats, and shoes! I would use this in a K-1 classroom and my students would draw their own selves dressed in crazy clothes! We would talk about how we can express ourselves through fashion, music, interests, etc.  We would then write about what we chose to wear and why!  They could expand upon why it's their favorite article of clothing and how it represents their individuality. I think this would be interesting because it gives a chance for students to talk about why they like certain things, and what makes them unique.  Personalizing their learning is how students gain deeper appreciations and understandings of a concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment